Table of content
martphones, tablets, notebooks, and other devices have become part of who we are. Now, that's OK. With the evolution of technologies, it is only logical that we started to use various apps instead of pigeon mail. The only thing that makes it challenging to communicate smoothly and seamlessly is ... speed. In the dark ages, people had a chance to think about what to write. Nowadays, however, you have to reply almost immediately. Today, I'm going to share with you the best ideas of what to talk about on FaceTime.
Why does the proper communication style help in networking?
Here and there, folks told about networking and how important it is in today's world. We are also often told that you need to chat as much as possible to build a strong network of contacts. It sounds elementary to understand. Still, at times we've all had awkward pauses where we've heard crickets.
You may think that a few seconds of silence won't do any issue. In reality, though, such pauses can wreck your first pleasant impression of yourself. Besides, in 9 cases out of 10, you will feel discomfort, especially when this situation happens while chatting with a relative, a close friend, or a new acquaintance.
For this reason, you should always know what to talk about on FaceTime in such situations. As Mark Twain said, «It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech». It's an excellent guideline to take as a basis for successful professional networking.
What to talk not about and what to talk about on FaceTime?
Before we get to the list of ideas for what to talk about on FaceTime, you first need to know about touchy subjects. There are many more sensitive topics of conversation in today's world than there were 50 or even 100 years ago. For this reason, we should skirt some issues.
What it's best not to talk about during FaceTime calls:
- too personal matters;
In the era of the COVID-19 pandemic, the ban on discussing health may not seem so critical. Trust me; this is the last thing what to talk about on FaceTime nowadays.
15 ideas for newbies and pros what to talk about on FaceTime
- Music. Almost everyone loves music and listens to it every day. Ask your conversation partner what song they've been listening to most recently and why?
- Impressions. You can talk about a movie/series/picture/concert/book that impressed your contact lately. If the person on the other side is confused, share your impressions. Prepare in advance three to five movies or books that you both can discuss.
- Fashion and style. Even if the individual is not an influencer or fashion model, they may be close to this topic. Those interested in trends (you can see it in their appearance, hairstyle, or accessories) find out their favorite brand. If the person is far from the fashion world by all signs, ask about their silliest thing in their closet. It'll be fun, even if at first it doesn't seem like the right thing what to talk about on FaceTime!
- The funniest incident in life. Perhaps your conversation partner did some crazy things, or something interesting happened to him or her. After that, you can tell your life story, too.
- Hobbies. Some people have a hard time answering this question. Because of school or work, not everyone has time to draw or run marathons. Nevertheless, everyone has hobbies. Hanging out on social networks, lying on the couch, and watching shows on Netflix are hobbies as well!
- Habits. This point slightly crosses over with the previous one. Unusual or weird habits that others don't know about are very insightful to the person you are talking to. Ask the one on the other end of your smartphone if they have any of those behaviors. Perhaps your conversation partner likes to drink coffee out of a particular color mug. Does the person always step on the first stair with only their left or right foot?
- Favorite type of ice cream and pizza toppings. The topic of food is the best conversation starter. Everyone loves good food! That's why you can talk for hours about favorite ice cream flavors, sweets, or toppings on a pizza. No kidding.
- First memory. Better than weird habits, only a description of a person's first memories shows a personality. Some folks remember themselves from the age of 4 or 5, while others don't have their first memories until 8 or 10 years old. It's an exciting subject when you don't know what to talk about on FaceTime.
- The things you love most about yourself. We quite often treat our appearance and ourselves critically. Still, everyone needs to have something good that makes you consider yourself to be a piece of gold. What is it? This video chat topic lets you have an emotional session, have fun and get to know each other from a new perspective.
- What do you like most about people? Are you not yet close enough to discuss the number 9 subject? No problem! You can think about what your conversation partner loves about humankind.
- The strongest motivation. In a conversation with someone who has a lot of ambition and wants to fulfill themselves in some area, you can bring up the topic of motivation. Maybe one of the famous personalities inspires your conversation mate. Alternatively, a spark might be lit in a person when they set a specific goal.
- What is your companion's superpower? Not that you ask, but my superpower is empathy. My ability to understand others without words helps me to make new acquaintances. A personal CRM at the same time allows me to manage personal and business relationships seamlessly. What is your superpower?
- Things that someone wants to do but don't have time to make. There are always things we leave for later. It could be a dance class, a trip across the country, or a significant image change. Here is where a truly endless source of ideas, what to talk about on FaceTime.
- The last photo on the phone. In some situations, the latest picture on a smartphone can be highly meaningless or silly. For example, it could be a photo of a note from 2010. Sometimes it might be a funny picture of a friend, a pet, or a beautiful shot of a particular dish.
- A list of favorite shows. There are dozens or even hundreds of series coming out now that can be discussed for hours. Make your top 3 shows and suggest that the person you are talking to do the same. Just so the conversation doesn't last just a couple of seconds, chat about why this particular series made a list.
I hope this blog post has given you some insightful ideas for FaceTime conversations. If you want to build a strong relationship with someone, regularly communicate with that person online and offline. It's the frequency of communication that determines how good a network of contacts you'll get in the future.
Even if you don't use FaceTime for professional or networking purposes, your family, friends, and acquaintances will still appreciate regular communication. A friendly conversation is one way to show attention to others. Use our app Nection to set the contact frequency and manage all your contacts. There are many functions like personalized campaigns, importing data from social networks and your phone book. Also, in the app, you can find helpful info to start the conversation, a timeline about a person, etc.